"YOUR FRIENDLY PHILIPPINE FOREIGNERS AND PHILIPPINE PROVINCES ONLINE ELECTRICAL SUPPLIER"

"YOUR FRIENDLY PHILIPPINE FOREIGNERS AND PHILIPPINE PROVINCES ONLINE ELECTRICAL SUPPLIER...AND SERVICE PROVIDER" WE'LL HELP YOU OWN YOUR ELECTRICAL SUPPLIES REQUIREMENTS

Thursday, August 29, 2013

How do I install a grounding rod? EMAIL: SAFEELECTRICAL2013@GMAIL.COM

How do I install a grounding rod?

It seems I have a problem with my home wiring.
And apparently also with my lack of knowledge regarding electricity and my blatant inexperience navigating home improvement stores.

I have had 3 different service providers refuse to install their satellite equipment once they got to my house because my wiring and/or plugs are not grounded properly.

Here is what I'm working with as of now::::

-I have 3 days to install an earth ground (grounding rod) before they come back over to attempt hooking up my equipment.

-I don't have the money to hire a professional.

-I have no idea what an earth ground is. Or if I have ever seen one...
I basically have no idea of even where to begin.

Although, I DID call the digging line to have all of my cables marked! Plus, I figured out which side of my house is South all by myself!!

If anyone can help me or even just give me a point in the general direction of qualified help...it would be appreciated greatly!!
Thanks!!

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

I have absolutely no experience with satellite equipment, so I am not sure if you are required to install a rod where the electric meter base is located, or somewhere else. If you are required to install a (one) ground rod at the meter base by the satellite co., that is OK, but the National Electrical Code requires a minimum of two, unless you can prove an adequate connection to the earth. If this type of inspection will not take place, and the satellite co. says one is enough, then you can choose a location near your meter base. If you must drive two rods, the second one must be more than 6 feet from the first, and the ground rod conductor (wire) is to be one long continuous wire, starting at the last rod going to the next rod, and then up the wall to the meter base. The rod is called a five-eighth's rod (thickness) 8 feet long. You will need enough number 4 guage bare copper wire to reach from the rod to the inside of the meter base, and clamps to attach the wire going up the side of the house to the meter base. Ask for a ground rod clamp (also known as an Acorn clamp) in order to attach the wire to the rod.

Now, to install the rod. Let me give you a hint as to how to get started. First take a shovel and dig a hole where you want to drive the rod (as close to the house and the meter base as possible). (Note: There may be some parts of the USA where the wire from the ground rod is allowed to go to a panel in the house instead of to the meter base. I've seen this in books. But where I live, the wire goes from the rod straight to a connection in the meter base. If this is true where you live, you will need to ask the power company to come out and remove the meter before this last connection can be make). After digging that hole about 6 inches deep and about 6 inches in diameter, pour in some water. Take the rod in your hands, (pointed end down), and start pushing the rod up and down in the ground, forming a hole in the dirt, and letting the water fall into the hole each time you pull the rod up out of the hole. Continue adding water as you work the rod up and down with your hands. Imagine the rod penetrating the ground about 3 or 4 inches, taking the rod completely out to add water, penetrating 3 or 4 more inches, taking the rod out to add water, etc. Get the picture? Wear leather gloves if you have soft hands. Unless you are in rocky ground, eventially the rod will be far enough in the ground that you will be able to start hitting it with a very large hammer, (sledge hammer if you have one). Be sure to install that clamp before damaging the top of the rod with that hammer. (Try temporarily taping or tying the rod close to the top of the rod to keep it out of the mud). After the rod is below ground level, attach the wire to the rod with that clamp, bury the wire to the side of the house, attach the wire up the wall of the house. Leave enough wire to be installed in the meter base. Call the power company. DO NOT INSERT WIRE IN METER BASE AT THIS TIME. DANGER. LETHAL VOLTAGE IS PRESENT. The power company may be willing to make this attachment in the meter base for you. There should be a small hole in the bottom of the meter base just the right size for this wire to be inserted into, but let the power company do it. Be sure and ask if you need one rod or two, and measure that distance for wire before purchasing. I would estimate about 8 or 10 feet for one rod, or about 14 to 18 feet if you install two rods. I hope this helps.

No comments: